One of the best things to do in Amsterdam is to end your day with this intimate journey of discovery along the canals as the city winds down and reveals itself at its most alluring.…
A few highlights
- Visit Amsterdam wint a stroll across the bridge that so captured Claude Monet’s imagination that he painted it for posterity
- Discover how the Dutch developed a love affair with the tulip
- Learn about Rembrandt’s hidden expression of love for his wife in his famous painting, “The Night Watch”
- Savour the taste and texture of a handmade chocolate from the only chocolatier in Amsterdam that makes its own
- See the most beautiful and romantic theatre in the Netherlands
- Learn about the city’s pioneering role in making love something for all
- Hear the unknown and improbable story of how the Dutch public’s favourite couple met
- Enjoy a complementary drink of your choice at the Art Café
- Discover why Dialy Mail recommend this tour as one of the best things to do in Amsterdam.
Meeting Point: Nieuwmarkt 4 (square), in front of café restaurant De Waag, castle-like building, where I will be standing and holding a pink umbrella.
The one and only romantic tour in Amsterdam where romance, art, and travel come together!
Mention “Amsterdam” anywhere in the world and people immediately think of drugs, Heineken and the red light district. Few are aware that the city harbours a wealth of romantic tales and secret places, all awaiting discovery by curious travellers like yourself. Visit Amsterdam with and stroll through these pockets of stillness, and learn about the rich history, art and stories that remind us of our shared need for love.
Our Amsterdam sightseeing begins in front of the medieval city gate, a few steps away from Amsterdam’s only sculptural dedication to love. It’s a popular area, and yet within minutes you’ll be basking in the silence of a hidden courtyard, the first on our journey of intimacy and human feeling that will include, among other sensory experiences, a visit to an enchanting secret garden, captivating views of romantically significant parts of the cityscape, and an introduction to the delicate scent of trees that everyone notices but no one really sees, all accompanied by stories that speak to the heart of love and longing and make Amsterdam a place about people.
This walk is ideal for anyone who journeys with an open heart and likes to know what gives each place its special atmosphere.
Where we will be
We’ll stroll across the bridge that so captured Claude Monet’s imagination that he painted it for posterity; discover how the Dutch developed a love affair with the tulip; learn about Rembrandt’s hidden expression of love in his famous painting, “The Night Watch”; savour a handmade chocolate from the city’s only genuine chocolatier; see the most beautiful theatre in the Netherlands; and learn about the city’s pioneering role in making love something for all.
- We’ll stop off at a café with a quite special garden for a freshly squeezed juice or other drink of your choice.
- Goody bag with useful items, incl. a guide to my favourite restaurants (with location map), a set of Dutch postcards, and a tulip.
- A handmade chocolate from the only chocolatier in Amsterdam that makes it own.
What to bring
- Sunscreen and/or an umbrella (if sunny)
- Comfortable walking shoes is advised
- Your lovely self and your camera
- Unfortunately, complete silence isn’t always possible; it’s a popular city.
- This walk is open to everyone.